Search Engine Guidelines: Bing Webmaster Guidelines
These recommendations help the Bing web crawler effectively index and rank your site. Bing also lists techniques to avoid if you want to make sure your site is indexed.
- Google and Bing recommend avoiding broken links, but this page has broken links.
- Google, Bing and Yahoo recommend that all pages have a TITLE element.
- Google, Bing and Yahoo recommend that all pages have a non-blank TITLE element.
- Do not stuff ALT text with keywords that users are unlikely to view. This may result in search engine penalties.
- Offer an HTML site map to your users with links that point to the important parts of your site. Links embedded in menus, list boxes, and similar elements are not accessible to web crawlers unless they appear in your site map. If the site map is larger than 100 or so links, you may want to break the site map into separate pages.
- Google and Bing recommend using an XML sitemap to increase coverage of your web pages by search engines.
- Many search engines, including Bing, are unable to follow links or index content embedded in Flash.
- No meta description tag found. Use a description tag that accurately describes the contents of a web page.
- Meta refresh tags that redirect to another page can be penalized by search engines.
- Title element is too long for Bing. Bing recommends using titles up to 65 characters long.
- Meta description tag is too long for Bing. Bing recommends keeping the description text under 160 characters in length.
- The meta description tag is the same as the title.
- This page has no H1 element, which violates Bing webmaster guidelines.
- This page has more than one H1 element, which violates Bing webmaster guidelines.
- Search engines may penalize hidden single pixel links.
- Search engines may penalize invisible text where text color is nearly identical to the background color.
- Search engines may penalize invisible text where text is too small to be seen.
- A keyword related to gambling, porn, meds, or payday loans was found in the URL. Make sure these links are marked with REL=‘NOFOLLOW’ to avoid affecting your Google ranking.
- Some search engines may penalize links to bad neighborhoods. Three or more hyphens in the domain name are used as a bad neighborhood indicator by search engines. Make sure these links are marked with REL=‘NOFOLLOW’ to avoid affecting your Google ranking.
- This page title is not unique. Assign unique, descriptive title elements and headings to every page.
- Text presented in graphics form only cannot be searched.
- To prevent 404 pages being indexed by search engines, make sure your web server returns a 404 HTTP status code instead of a 200 OK status code when a missing page is requested.