Accessibility Checkpoint Grouped fields with no accessible names
All fields in a group of input fields (for example phone numbers) need accessible names.
label element or
title attribute for each field, and if required, use CSS to hide the label from sighted users.
- WCAG 2.0 F86 (Success Criteria: 4.1.2 level A)
- WCAG 2.1 F86 (Success Criteria: 4.1.2 level A)
- Section 508 (2017) F86 (Success Criteria: 4.1.2 level A)
Note: Section 508 Refresh (2017) checkpoints are equivalent to WCAG 2.0 level AA checkpoints.
- 5.37 May 2020 Fixed false positive.
- 5.5 May 2014 Updated to April 2014 version of Techniques for WCAG 2.0.
- 5.3 Sep 2013 Fixed false negative.
- 4.1 Aug 2010 When a group of input fields (e.g. phone number parts) don't all have labels, but first field does have a label, don't complain about first field.
- 3.5 Dec 2009 Don't fire when members of the group have been labeled with title attributes.
- 3.0 Dec 2008 Added.
This page describes a web site issue detected by SortSite Desktop and OnDemand Suite.
Rule ID: AccWcag2-F86-1