Accessibility Checkpoint WCAG 2 F39
Decorative or spacer image has a non-blank ALT attribute.
Images used for decoration only should have ALT=«» so they can be ignored by screen readers.
- WCAG 2.0 F39 (Success Criteria: 1.1.1 level A)
- Section 508 (2017) F39 (Success Criteria: 1.1.1 level A)
Note: Section 508 Refresh (2017) checkpoints are equivalent to WCAG 2.0 level AA checkpoints.
Impact on Users
- JAWS Reads out redundant ALT text.
- NVDA Reads out redundant ALT text.
- SaToGo Reads out redundant ALT text.
- WindowEyes Reads out redundant ALT text.
- VoiceOver Reads out redundant ALT text.
- 5.9 Jun 2015 Handle non-standard image element.
- 5.5 May 2014 Updated to April 2014 version of Techniques for WCAG 2.0.
- 5.3 Sep 2013 Updated to Sept 2013 version of Techniques for WCAG 2.0.
- 5.0 Oct 2012 Don’t fire on IMG elements with no SRC attribute.
- 3.5 Dec 2009 Fixed detection of single pixel spacer images.
- 3.0 Dec 2008 Added.
This page describes a web site issue detected by SortSite Desktop and OnDemand Suite.
Rule ID: AccWcag2-F39-1