Accessibility Checkpoint WCAG 2 F40 and Section 508 1194.22 (p)
Do not use META REFRESH with a non-zero timeout to automatically refresh the page, since it causes an unexpected interruption for screen reader users.
If you cannot avoid using META REFRESH, change the refresh time to zero, since the redirect is instant and will not be perceived as a change of context.
- Section 508 (2000) 1194.22 (p)
- WCAG 1.0 7.5
- WCAG 2.0 F40 (Success Criteria: 2.2.1 level A, 2.2.4 level AAA, 3.2.5 level AAA)
- Section 508 (2017) F40 (Success Criteria: 2.2.1 level A, 2.2.4 level AAA, 3.2.5 level AAA)
Note: Section 508 (2000) checkpoints (a) through (k) are equivalent to WCAG 1.0 level A checkpoints. Section 508 Refresh (2017) checkpoints are equivalent to WCAG 2.0 level AA checkpoints.
- 4.7 Jun 2012 Now triggers Section 508 1194.22 (p).
- 3.5 Dec 2009 Don’t fire for refresh = 0 (because sighted users don’t see the content either - see WCAG 2 F40).
- 3.0 Dec 2008 Now triggers WCAG2 F40.
- 1.0 Feb 2007 Added.
This page describes a web site issue detected by SortSite Desktop and OnDemand Suite.
Rule ID: AccWcag1-7.5.1