Accessibility Checkpoint WCAG 2 1.4.3
Ensure that foreground and background colors have enough contrast.
Some users find it hard to read light gray text on a white background, dark gray text on a black background and white text on a red background.
- The contrast ratio should be 3.0 or more for 18 point text, or larger
- The contrast ratio should be 3.0 or more for 14 point bold text, or larger
- The contrast ratio should be 4.5 or more for all other text
Note: Section 508 Refresh (2017) checkpoints are equivalent to WCAG 2.0 level AA checkpoints.
- 5.23 Oct 2016 Fixed false positive.
- 5.22 Jul 2016 Fixed false positive on print media.
- 5.21 Mar 2016 Fixed false positive.
- 5.20 Jan 2016 Better detection with transparent background colors, and bold text.
- 5.8 Mar 2015 Fixed false positive on some large scale text.
- 5.2 May 2013 Reports which browsers are affected by this issue.
- 5.1 Jan 2013 Corrected contrast ratio displayed in message detail - wrong number shown in some cases.
- 3.5 Dec 2009 Corrected priority.
- 3.0 Dec 2008 Now uses WCAG 2 color contrast algorithm and triggers WCAG 2 1.4.3.
- 1.0 Feb 2007 Added.
This page describes a web site issue detected by SortSite Desktop and OnDemand Suite.
Rule ID: AccWcag1-2.2.2