Accessibility Checkpoint WCAG 2 F89
Each A element must contain text or an IMG with an ALT attribute.
Add text to the link, or ALT text if the link contains an image. If there is no link text or the ALT text is blank, screen readers have nothing to read, so read out the URL instead.
- WCAG 1.0 13.1
- WCAG 2.0 F89 (Success Criteria: 2.4.4 level A, 2.4.9 level AAA, 4.1.2 level A)
- Section 508 (2017) F89 (Success Criteria: 2.4.4 level A, 2.4.9 level AAA, 4.1.2 level A)
Note: Section 508 Refresh (2017) checkpoints are equivalent to WCAG 2.0 level AA checkpoints.
- 5.9 Jun 2015 Fixed false positive on SVG fallback.
- 5.5 May 2014 Updated to April 2014 version of Techniques for WCAG 2.0.
- 5.3 Sep 2013 Fixed false negative.
- 4.7 Jun 2012 Although WCAG 2 H33 describes using title attribute as a success technique, it rarely works in practice, so ignore title attribute.
- 3.1 Feb 2009 Don’t fire if A element has title attribute.
- 3.0 Dec 2008 Now triggers WCAG2 issue.
- 1.0 Feb 2007 Added.
This page describes a web site issue detected by SortSite Desktop and OnDemand Suite.
Rule ID: AccWcag1-13.1.1