Accessibility Checkpoint WCAG 2 H35 and Section 508 1194.22 (a)
APPLET elements must contain alternative content.
Add alternative content inside the applet element, which will be displayed on browsers that don’t support Java (e.g. Chrome and iOS)
- Section 508 (2000) 1194.22 (a)
- WCAG 1.0 1.1
- WCAG 2.0 H35 (Success Criteria: 1.1.1 level A)
- Section 508 (2017) H35 (Success Criteria: 1.1.1 level A)
Note: Section 508 (2000) checkpoints (a) through (k) are equivalent to WCAG 1.0 level A checkpoints. Section 508 Refresh (2017) checkpoints are equivalent to WCAG 2.0 level AA checkpoints.
- 5.9 Jun 2015 Updated to reflect current screen reader support.
- 5.4 Feb 2014 Fixed false negative.
- 5.3 Sep 2013 Fixed false negative.
- 4.0 Jun 2010 Changed to reflect browser behavior for applet element. IE will display the body text of the applet element and not the alt attribute. Firefox and Opera will display the alt attribute but not the body text.
- 3.5 Dec 2009 Look for title attribute and text inside applet element as well as alt.
- 3.0 Dec 2008 Now triggers WCAG2 issue.
- 2.0 Dec 2007 Now triggers Section 508 issue.
- 1.0 Feb 2007 Added.
This page describes a web site issue detected by SortSite Desktop and OnDemand Suite.
Rule ID: AccWcag1-1.1.1