Accessibility Standard: Section 508 (2000)
Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (amended 29 U.S.C. 794d) requires that US Federal employees with disabilities have access to information comparable to employees without disabilities. The technical requirements for websites were based on WCAG 1.0 level A with some additions.
This section lists the 59 rules covering 15 checkpoints for Section 508 (2000) supported by the current version of the product.
Web-based Intranet and Internet Information and Applications (1194.22)
1194.22 (a) Text equivalents for non-text - 14 rules
appletelements must contain alternative content.
areaelements must have an
imgelements must have an
alttext should not be an image file name.
input type=imageelements must have a descriptive
objectelements should contain alternative content.
- Links in Flash movies should be duplicated as plain text links.
img alttext must not use ASCII art (which includes smileys).
alttext should not contain placeholders like ‘picture’ or…
- Figures and images in PDF documents should have non blank ALT…
buttonelements containing only an
imgmust have an
- PDFs must be tagged to be accessible by screen readers.
- PDF security on the document prevents screen readers accessing…
- Word document contains a graphic without Alt Text.
1194.22 (b) Alternatives for multimedia - 2 rules
- Provide an audio description of the important information of…
- This MPEG video has no audio track or captions.
1194.22 © Don’t rely on color alone - 2 rules
alttext of this image mentions a color, which isn’t useful…
- Removing the underline from links makes it hard for color-blind…
1194.22 (d) Don’t require stylesheets - 2 rules
- Absolute CSS positioning can make pages unreadable when style…
- Content inserted with CSS is not read by some screen readers,…
1194.22 (e) Server-side image maps - 1 rule
1194.22 (f) Client-side image maps - 1 rule
1194.22 (g) Table headers - 2 rules
- Identify row and column headers in data tables using
- Identify row and column headers in Word tables.
1194.22 (h) Multiple level table headers - 1 rule
1194.22 (i) Frame titles - 4 rules
frameelements must have
titlemust not be the same as the frame
frame titlemust describe function rather than visual relationship…
titleattributes found for
1194.22 (j) No flicker - 4 rules
marqueetext is very hard to read for low vision…
blinkelement can trigger epileptic seizures and cause…
- Web pages must not contain large images that flash more than…
- Web pages must not contain any images that flash more than three…
1194.22 (k) Text only page when all else fails - No rules
onmouseuphandlers should have an equivalent
onmouseoverhandlers should have an equivalent
onmouseouthandlers should have an equivalent
onmousedownhandlers should have an equivalent
onclickhandlers should have an equivalent
ondblclickhandlers should have an equivalent
1194.22 (m) Applets and plugins - 3 rules
- This page has a Flash movie which does not specify a download…
- This page has a Flash movie which references Flash version 5…
- This page has links to a PDF file, but does not provide a link…
1194.22 (n) Forms - 10 rules
label forattribute refers to a non-existent control.
fieldsetelement has been used to give a border to text.
- This field removes focus when tabbed to making it impossible…
- This form control has no
labeland no programmatically determined…
aria-labelledbyattribute references a non-existent element…
aria-labelledbyattribute references a blank element.
- This form control has a blank label or title.
inputbutton has no
valueattribute and no programmatically…
buttonelement is empty and has no programmatically determined…
- This form has fields without LABEL elements or TITLE attributes.
1194.22 (o) Skip links - 2 rules
- Provide a way to skip repetitive navigation links.
- This skip link is broken. The target anchor does not exist or…
1194.22 (p) Timed responses - 4 rules