Accessibility Checkpoint WCAG 2 F22
Avoid specifying a new window as the target of a link with
Displaying new windows without warning can be very confusing to non-sighted and mobile users. Some screen readers and mobile devices give very little indication a new tab or window has opened. If you cannot avoid displaying a new window, insert a warning into the link text like the following: «opens in a new window».
- WCAG 1.0 10.1
- WCAG 2.0 F22 (Success Criteria: 3.2.5 level AAA)
- WCAG 2.1 F22 (Success Criteria: 3.2.5 level AAA)
- 5.36 Jan 2020 Improved detection. Changed rule ID from AccWcag1-10.1.2 to AccHtmlLinkTargetNew.
- 5.23 Oct 2016 Don’t trigger on ARIA hidden associations.
- 5.9 Jun 2015 Don’t trigger on mailto links.
- 5.4 Feb 2014 Fixed false positive.
- 5.0 Oct 2012 Now also triggers for target=»_new».
- 4.4 Aug 2011 Fixed false negative: popup instructions outside link text insufficient (because they’re not read out when listing links on a page).
- 3.0 Dec 2008 Now triggers WCAG2 issue.
- 1.0 Feb 2007 Added.
This page describes a web site issue detected by SortSite Desktop and OnDemand Suite.
Rule ID: AccHtmlLinkTargetNew