Accessibility Checkpoint Server-side image maps are inaccessible
Use client-side image maps instead of server-side image maps, except where the regions cannot be defined with an available geometric shape.
Server-side image maps are not keyboard accessible and don't work with screen readers. Provide a
area elements linked to the
img by the
- Section 508 (2000) 1194.22 (f)
- WCAG 1.0 9.1
- WCAG 2.0 2.1.1 (Success Criteria: 1.1.1 level A, 2.1.1 level A, 2.1.3 level A)
- WCAG 2.1 2.1.1 (Success Criteria: 1.1.1 level A, 2.1.1 level A, 2.1.3 level A)
- Section 508 (2017) 2.1.1 (Success Criteria: 1.1.1 level A, 2.1.1 level A, 2.1.3 level A)
Note: Section 508 (2000) checkpoints (a) through (k) are equivalent to WCAG 1.0 level A checkpoints. Section 508 Refresh (2017) checkpoints are equivalent to WCAG 2.0 level AA checkpoints.
- 5.38 Jul 2020 Changed rule ID from AccWcag1-9.1.1 to AccHtmlImgIsmap.
- 5.9 Jun 2015 Handle non-standard image tag.
- 3.0 Dec 2008 Now triggers WCAG2 issue.
- 2.0 Dec 2007 Now triggers Section 508 issue.
- 1.0 Feb 2007 Added.
This page describes a web site issue detected by SortSite Desktop and OnDemand Suite.
Rule ID: AccHtmlImgIsmap