Accessibility Checkpoint WCAG 2 F30 and Section 508 1194.22 (a)
alt text should not contain placeholders like ‘picture’ or ‘spacer’.
For purely decorative images and spacers use
alt='', for images of text use the text, and for other images use a description of the image.
- Section 508 (2000) 1194.22 (a)
- WCAG 1.0 1.1
- WCAG 2.0 F30 (Success Criteria: 1.1.1 level A)
- Section 508 (2017) F30 (Success Criteria: 1.1.1 level A)
Note: Section 508 (2000) checkpoints (a) through (k) are equivalent to WCAG 1.0 level A checkpoints. Section 508 Refresh (2017) checkpoints are equivalent to WCAG 2.0 level AA checkpoints.
Impact on Users
- JAWS Reads out placeholder text, instead of a useful image description.
- NVDA Reads out placeholder text, instead of a useful image description.
- VoiceOver Reads out placeholder text, instead of a useful image description.
- 5.27 Oct 2017 Improved placeholder detection. Changed rule ID from AccWcag1-1.1.15 to AccHtmlImgAltPlaceholder.
- 5.9 Jun 2015 Detect non-standard image tag.
- 3.0 Dec 2008 Now triggers WCAG2 issue.
- 2.0 Dec 2007 Now triggers Section 508 issue.
- 1.0 Feb 2007 Added.
This page describes a web site issue detected by SortSite Desktop and OnDemand Suite.
Rule ID: AccHtmlImgAltPlaceholder