HTML vs XHTML version statistics
As part of the online demo at try.powermapper.com we collect summary statistics about pages scanned by our service. One interesting statistic covers versions of HTML and XHTML in common use. As of September 2016:
- HTML 5 DOCTYPEs account for around 75% of pages scanned (up from 0% in 2008)
- XHTML 1.0 DOCTYPEs account for around 10% of pages scanned (down from 60% in 2008)
- XHTML 1.1 DOCTYPEs have vanished, and account for 0% of pages scanned (down from 1% in 2009)
- HTML 4.01 DOCTYPEs account for about 3% of pages scanned (down from 20% in 2008)
- About 2% of pages scanned have no DOCTYPE (down from 15% in 2008)
HTML vs. XHTML Version Statistics
This is based on a sample size of over 10 million pages on 1 million web sites.
Note: the graph in this post is live, so may show newer data than the words in this post.