Accessibility Checkpoint WCAG 2 F54 and Section 508 1194.22 (l)
All ONCLICK handlers should have an equivalent ONKEYPRESS handler.
Some users are unable to use a mouse, so use the keyboard instead. Add an equivalent keyboard event handler to help these users.
Note: Section 508 checkpoints (a) through (k) are equivalent to WCAG 1 level A checkpoints.
- 5.8 Mar 2015 Fixed false positive on do nothing handlers.
- 5.5 May 2014 Fixed false negative.
- 5.3 Sep 2013 Fixed false negative.
- 5.1 Jan 2013 Fixed false negative on new HTML5 elements.
- 4.7 Jun 2012 Fixed false negative on img and input elements in HTML5.
- 4.5 Nov 2011 Now triggers Section 508 1194.22 (l).
- 4.2 Dec 2010 Don’t fire on A elements with an HREF attribute.
- 4.1 Aug 2010 Don’t fire for ONCLICK handlers on BUTTON elements.
- 4.1 Aug 2010 Don’t fire if ONCLICK handler is present but blank.
- 3.5 Dec 2009 Corrected priority.
- 3.5 Dec 2009 Don’t detect controls which fire onclick when triggered by keyboard.
- 3.0 Dec 2008 Now triggers WCAG2 F54.
- 3.0 Dec 2008 Don’t trigger in script blocks that assign an ONKEY handler as well as an ONMOUSE handler.
- 2.0 Dec 2007 Now triggers Section 508 issue.
- 1.0 Feb 2007 Added.
This page describes a web site issue detected by SortSite Desktop and OnDemand Suite.
Rule ID: AccWcag1-9.3.5