Accessibility Checkpoint WCAG 2 F65 and Section 508 1194.22 (a)
IMG elements must have an ALT attribute.
Add an ALT attribute describing each image, which screen readers read aloud. Spacer images and purely decorative images should use ALT=“.
Note: Section 508 checkpoints (a) through (k) are equivalent to WCAG 1 level A checkpoints.
Impact on Users
- NVDA 2015.2 / FF40 Image ignored.
- JAWS 16.0.4350 / FF40 Image ignored.
- WindowEyes 8.4 / IE11 Image ignored.
- VoiceOver / OSX 10.10 Image filename read out.
- VoiceOver / iOS 7.1 Image filename read out.
- SaToGo 126.96.36.199 / IE11 Image ignored.
- 5.9 Jun 2015 Detect non-standard image tags.
- 5.5 May 2014 Updated to April 2014 version of Techniques for WCAG 2.0.
- 5.0 Oct 2012 Don’t fire on IMG elements with no SRC attribute.
- 4.4 Aug 2011 Failed to detect missing ALT when badly formed IMG tag used in XHTML documents (HTML documents worked as expected).
- 3.5 Dec 2009 Don’t fire if start tag contains unclosed attributes: <IMG SRC=‘file.png ALT=‘Sunset’ >
- 3.0 Dec 2008 Now triggers WCAG2 issue.
- 2.0 Dec 2007 Now triggers Section 508 issue.
- 1.0 Feb 2007 Added.
This page describes a web site issue detected by SortSite Desktop and OnDemand Suite.
Rule ID: AccWcag1-1.1.8